08 Jan Pruning vines and eating calçots in Priorat! (February 2024)
Time has come for calçotadas and it’s also time to carry out typical winter winemaking tasks. Do you want to learn how to prune grapevines and eat calçots in a region that stands out for its wine and food and enjoy the extraordinary scenic beauty?
From Gratallops (DOQ Priorat) and Falset (county capital), we offer you to enjoy an enriching and foodie activity: grapevine pruning workshop featuring a calçotada barbecue.
BOOK YOUR EXPERIENCE VIA OUR ONLINE SHOP
You’re welcome to visit us on the 11th, 18th or 25th of February (Sundays) to enjoy the Priorat panoramas and learn how to prune grapevines.
This way you can learn how to prune vines in good company! We will not make you prune the whole vineyard, but we will simply teach you the techniques and you will spend some nice time in contact with nature. The workshop will end with a wine tasting and a subsequent calçotada at the Mas Trucafort restaurant.
Place: Gratallops, DOQ Priorat, and Falset
- 10.30 – 11.00 am – meeting at Celler Devinssi
- 11.00 – 11.30 am – guided walk to the vineyard
- 11.30 am – 1 pm – grapevine pruning workshop and wine tasting
- 1 – 1.30 pm – return to the village, possibility to buy wine in the cellar
- 1.30 – 2 pm – transfer to Mas Trucafort (Falset)
- 2 – 4 pm – lunch and calçotada at Mas Trucafort.
All activities will be held outdoors. (N.B. In case of strong winds we would do the wine tasting at the winery.). Lunch will consist of outdoor calçotada and the rest of the meal in the restaurant.
Due to the precautions related to the containment of the pandemic, this year’s workshops will have a limited capacity.
- Standard rate: € 55 per person (VAT included)
- Grapevine adopters: contact us for special prices.
The price includes:
- participation in the workshop
- participation in the calçotada (see the menu below)
The bookings should be made through our online shop.
If you are interested in another date for scheduling this activity during the month of February, please contact us to arrange it.
IMPORTANT: Please advise in case of dietary restrictions.
You need to bring good walking shoes (low difficulty), comfortable clothes (hiking) and water.
We look forward to seeing you in the Priorat, a rural area to reconnect with nature, good wines and good food.
- First course: Standing up outdoors with your bib on
- Calçots cooked on grapevine twigs
- Homemade romesco dressing
- Porró of wine
- Second course: Seated in the restaurant
- Braseros with:
- Lamb, shrimp and artichoke
- Casserole with beans, black sausage and potatoes
- Aioli dressing
- To choose from:
- Crema catalana
- Natural orange with vin de liqueur
- Water and coffee
Please note that the menu does not include wine for the main courses or desserts; wines and other extras are paid directly at the restaurant.
Review of Celler Devinssi
My two friends and I visited Celler Devinssi from Barcelona and met with Jordi in Gratallops. He made us feel very welcome and drove us out to see the vineyard, surrounded by beautiful views of the hilly Priorat landscape. Once at the vineyard, he spent some time teaching us how to prune the vines and how the pruning method would affect the way the vine grows later in the season. We also learned about how these very steep vineyards are managed, and how the slope makes impossible any kind of mechanical process – so everything is done manually here. My friends and I learned a lot that day and enjoyed a great time together. Priorat is worth a visit even in the wintertime. The people we met were all very friendly, the landscape just as majestic and its nice to enjoy a bit of work in the vineyard before relaxing with a glass of wine and calçotada with friends. Highly recommend!